- “Worshiping God”
Dr. Dale Schultz
Sunday March 9, 2014
- Starry Ministry – Finding the Light of Hope in the Darkest Hours
STARRY’s goal is to be a beacon of light for children, youth and families in the midst of crisis by nurturing children, strengthening families and restoring hope. To learn more about Starry and the various programs visit their website at www.starryonline.org
- DAILY BIBLE READINGS For the week beginning Sunday, March 9, 2014
- Lenten Prayer Guide
Our focus this Lent is on “Living the Jesus Mission.”
The purpose of this prayer guide is to prepare our hearts not only for Holy Week, but for our Missions Conference May 1 – 4, 2014. There are a limited number of print copies, so we encourage those who can to download the digital version. To download a prayer guide.
go to http://love-inaction.blogspot.com/p/lenten-prayer-guide.html
- Questions for Discussion
- The Bible mentions that God loves a cheerful giver and that generosity is a spiritual gift. What does it mean to be a cheerful giver? What do the words “generosity” and “generous” mean? Do you consider your gift to be a “generous” amount of money?
- How does it feel to be used by God to help others?
- What did you learn about the mission or the project that you decided to sponsor?
- Do you have any ideas for future projects?
- Michael Martin Murphey LIVE
Michael Martin Murphey
A Testimonial, Faith-Sharing Celebration
Sunday, March 16, 11:00 a.m.
Special Worship Service in the Family Life Center
On Sunday, March 16, Michael Martin Murphey will share his testimony with St. Philip’s. A Texas native, he has topped the Pop, Country, Bluegrass and Western Music charts, earned six gold albums and multiple Grammy nominations. This special service will be in addition to our traditional 11:00 a.m. service in the Chapel. Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity!
- “Following Jesus”
- DAILY BIBLE READINGS – week Sunday, February 23
Sunday Matthew 5:38-48
Monday Matthew 4:18-22; Matthew 17:1-9
Tuesday Leviticus 19:1-18
Wednesday Psalm 119:33-40
Thursday 1 Corinthians 3:10-23
Friday Matthew 5:38-48
Saturday Matthew 4:18-22; Matthew 17:1-9
Dr. Dale Schultz
Scripture: Matthew 5:38-48
Sunday February 23, 2014
- Winter Bible Study
Meet Jesus: The Gospel of Matthew
Tuesdays, Now – March 4, Noon – 1:00 pm, and 7:00 – 8:00 pm, EMC 11 Led by Dr. Dale Schultz. (Same content in each day’s sessions.) You may join the study at any time. Use your favorite Bible translation for the readings. For this week, read Matthew 13-22.
- Mission Trip Fundraising Opportunities
If you and/or your student would like to participate in our summer mission trip, then save the dates for the following fundraising opportunities: March 4 – Fat Tuesday Pancake Supper; April 5 – Church Yard Sale Fundraiser. More details to come.
- Paper Pals Meets at St. Philip’s
First & third Friday’s, 7:00 – 11:00 pm, Children’s Ministry
Building; All day Saturday Scraps throughout the year Paper Pals is a scrapbooking, stamping, and crafting group that meets on the first and third Fridays of each month from 7:00 – 11:00 pm, in the Children’s Ministry Building (CMC). Additional information may be found on the group website at:
- Our Worship Services on Sundays
All of our Worship Services are directed to God who is revealed to us through the love and life of Jesus Christ.
- 8:15 am A traditional, liturgical style of Worship in our historic Chapel.
- 9:30 am A contemporary style of Worship using multi-media in our Family Life Center.
- 11:00 am A traditional, liturgical style of Worship in our historic Chapel.
- Share the Joy of Giving
“Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and will be repaid in full.” (Proverbs 19:17)
When shopping with your children this holiday season, ask them to take some of their money along to donate to the charities whose representatives are ringing bells outside stores. As you make a donation, allow your children to put their own money in the kettle and experience the joy of giving to others.
- Addresses Needed For Our Military
Each week, we acknowledge and pray for military personnel on our Sunday Guide Prayer List. The St. Philip’s Prayer Team would like to send these folks a Christmas card. Please provide the mailing address of anyone that you have placed on the military portion of the Prayer List to the church office at 512-244-2175, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vacation Bible School 2014
June 23 – 27; 6:30 – 8:30 pm, Campus of St. Philip’s
We will be using the Cokesbury Workshop of Wonders VBS. Many volunteers are needed to make it a success. Look at the list below and email your top three choices to Melissa Trigg at email@example.com.
1. VBS Director
2. Assistant VBS Director – Crew leaders
3. Assistant VBS Director – Preschool
4. Overall Snack Leader
5. Overall Music/Opening & Closing Ceremony
6. Photographer Tween (Entering 5th/6th Grade Students) Mission Camp:
7. Mission Camp Leader
8. Assistant Mission Camp Leader
Preschool children are age four and entering Kindergarten, and must have a volunteer on campus for safety reasons.
9. Preschool Bible Story Leader
10. Preschool Crafts Leader
11. Preschool Recreation Leader
12. Preschool Science Leader
Elementary Children entering grades 1st-4th:
13. Elementary Story Bible Leader
14. Elementary Crafts Leader
15. Elementary Recreation Leader
16. Elementary Science Leader
Crew Leaders (guide children’s groups to stations):
17. Elementary Crew Leader
18. Preschool Crew Leader
• Entering 7th & 8th grade students may request to be a station assistant.
• High school youth can serve as crew leaders or work with stations.
- Children’s Easter Celebration Sunday, April 13
Please mark your calendars for Sunday afternoon, April 13, for the annual Easter Family Celebration. We have leadership for this event, but members of the planning committee and volunteers for various activities are needed. We need as much help as we can get. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to help out!
- Volunteers Needed
Teachers and subs continue to be needed for preschool and elementary Sunday School. Please contact Melissa Trigg at email@example.com or call the church office at 512-244-2175 to discuss possibilities. Thank you so much!
- Pancake Supper Fundraiser
Tuesday, March 4, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
What a great fundraiser! If your student wants to earn money for the summer mission trip sign up to help! Contact Dana Harrison in the church at 512-244-2175, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring Break Service Weekend
March 7-9, Cost $130 if before 2/2/14
Why not start off spring break on the right foot by serving others? Join us for a service weekend like no other! We will team
up with First UMC Georgetown, St. John’s UMC, and Wellspring UMC to participate in several service projects across the Round Rock/Georgetown area.
- Mid-Winter UMC Youth Retreat
February 21-23, Cost $115, Waco Mark your calendars for the annual midwinter retreat. Join hundreds of other students from United Methodist churches all over the area in engaging worship, teaching, fun activities, and some great fellowship time with other students. To register visit our website at www.stphilipsumc.org/youth/midwinter.
- News from St. Phil’s Kids
Last Sunday was amazing in The Tree House! During both Sunday School hours, the children assembled 60 “Blessings Bags” for the less fortunate. We talked about Matthew 22:37-39 “He replied, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is: You must love your neighbor as you love yourself,” which is the story of the Good Samaritan from Luke.
The Blessing Bags include bottled water, peanut butter crackers, cheese crackers, granola bars, a pair of socks, a comb and toothbrush, and a small first aid kit. The bags are to be kept in the car and shared with someone less fortunate. The kids all took bags and also shared them with the adult Sunday School classes in the EMC. Thank you to the many people who donated items and to Ginnie Colbert, Mark Wood and Deanna Feil who helped Sunday morning.
- Summer Mission Trip – June 15-21, 2014
Cost $200 if before 3/6/2014
It’s that time again! If you are interested in going on this year’s summer mission trip
as a youth or chaperone (which we really need) sign up today! Visit our website:
Summer Mission Trip Sign-up